Differ We Must with Steve InskeepOct 02, 2023
NPR’s Steve Inskeep, addresses the turmoil in America, discussing his new book Differ We Must: How Lincoln Succeeded in a Divided America. In a time when it’s common to cancel or cut ties with those we disagree with, what can we learn from Abraham Lincoln about how to disagree fundamentally, while maintaining the relationship? Even when at odds with a dear friend over the issue of slavery, Lincoln wrote, “If for this you and I must differ, differ we must.” Does Democracy require us to agree to disagree? How can this be applied to the very divided America we see today, to hold the country together?
Special thanks to our guest, Steve Inskeep, for joining us.
Links to Full Episode:
About the Guest:
Steve Inskeep is a co-host of NPR’s Morning Edition, the most widely heard radio program in the United States, and of NPR’s Up First, one of the nation’s most popular podcasts. His reporting has taken him across the United States, the Middle East, Latin America, Africa, Pakistan, and China. His search for the full story behind the news has led him to history; he is the author of Instant City, Jacksonland, and Imperfect Union.
- Order Differ We Must: How Lincoln Succeeded in a Divided America
- Steve Inskeep on NPR
- Follow on Twitter
- Follow on Instagram
- Today, Explained podcast with Noel King
Episode Sponsor Codes:
- Right now, you can get an exclusive 20% off your first order at Thrive Causemetics when you visit thrivecausemetics.com/SHARON
- You can get 15% off when you go to MASTERCLASS.com/SHARON
- Try Athletic Greens, and get 5 free AG1 Travel Packs and a FREE 1 year supply of Vitamin D with your first purchase. Go to drinkAG1.com/SHARON