Embracing the High 5 Habit with Mel RobbinsOct 15, 2021
In this episode, Sharon is joined by bestselling author and world-renowned speaker, Mel Robbins, who talks about her latest book, The High 5 Habit. After experiencing the lowest point in her life, Mel did something life-changing: She gave herself a high-five in the mirror. Mel uncovers the magic and science behind giving yourself a high-five and explains how we can make self-encouragement a habit. Mel calls us back to ourselves and provides practical tools to feeling grounded, comfortable and confident. With wit, humor and unblinking honesty, Mel urges us to be kind to ourselves - because who knows what could happen if we were?
Links to Full Episode:
This Episode Will Teach You:
- How to practice self-encouragement
- How to take intentional steps in being kind to ourselves
- Why the High 5 Habit works
- The way we view ourselves is how we view the world
- Reticular Activation System (RAS) and how it affects our thoughts
- Why positive thinking isn’t the answer
- Why confidence is the result of our actions
3 Biggest Takeaways:
- Mel Robbins explains the origins of writing her new book The High 5 Habit. In April of 2020, Mel reached the lowest point in her life. She was anxious, frazzled and felt like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. One morning, she did something that changed her life: She gave herself a high-five in the mirror. As Mel continued to high-five herself each morning, she felt her optimism growing. She realized that she, like so many others, was good at lifting others up, but was not good at encouraging herself. Mel also speaks on the importance of being kind to ourselves, because the way we view ourselves is the way we view the world.
- The High 5 Habit reveals the scientific ways our brains react to giving ourselves a high-five. Mel explains that our brains are already programmed to recognize the message behind a high-five. It communicates love, support and hope. When combined with the actual motion of giving a high-five, this habit quickly creates a neural pathway that commands our Reticular Activation System to create a new narrative in our minds: a narrative of celebration and encouragement.
- Lastly, Sharon and Mel discuss the importance of self-encouragement because it pushes us to act. The High 5 Habit creates an optimistic mindset that motivates us to take action and make our lives better. This practice of intentional living allows us to be more confident, grounded and collected instead of discouraged, flighty and frazzled.
About the Guest:
Mel Robbins is a bestselling author, motivational speaker, and former talk show host and CNN legal analyst. Her most recent book, “The High 5 Habit,” teaches readers how to make self-encouragement a habit.