Episode 30: I Pledge Allegiance to the Facts with Mosheh OinounouSep 21, 2021
In this episode, Sharon and seasoned journalist and news producer, Mosheh Oinounou, dive into the world of the media and the complexities of the world around us. Sharon and Mosheh discuss who and what to trust in the media as well as how to create a game plan for consuming factual and verified information. When it comes to national and international events, there is always more than meets the eye. Join Sharon and Mosheh as they uncover how listeners can see through media nuances to the bigger picture of today’s most pressing issues. This episode is powered by an allegiance to facts!
Link to Full Episode:
This Episode Will Teach You:
- The difference between misinformation and disinformation
- How bad information impacts our personal decisions
- Who to trust in the media
- How to create a framework for consuming media is a helpful way
- Facts are not always black and white
- How to avoid simplifying international news
- The deep complexities and nuances of national events
- Politicians are humans, they are good and bad
- The importance of local media
3 Biggest Takeaways:
- Sharon and Mosheh begin by discussing the difference between disinformation and misinformation. Disinformation is falsified information that has a political agenda while misinformation is false information. Regardless, bad information impacts our personal decisions and can even threaten democracy. Mosheh reveals how to uncover the truth in media coverage. He reminds listeners that the truth is not always black and white, and the complexities of certain situations can cause the truth to be a gray area.
- Mosheh and Sharon explain how to consume news in a helpful and responsible way. Mosheh advises listeners to consume news from a variety of trusted and established sources, and then to read articles from partisan-media to understand different perspectives. He also encourages listeners to support their local news stations. Sharon and Mosheh agree that when they report on topics, their allegiance is always to the facts, not a political party.
- Lastly, the two uncover the major complexities of national policies, international events and politicians. They encourage listeners to understand the facts surrounding topics such as U.S politicians and U.S policies regarding employment, tax and emerging technologies. As well, they advise listeners not to oversimplify international news by categorizing people from other countries into one bucket; there are as many differing perspectives in other countries as there are in the U.S.
About the Guest:
- Mosheh Oinounou is a seasoned journalist and producer who has worked for various news outlets, including FOX News, CBS News and Bloomberg, for nearly two decades. After a short stint of media consultancy, he created a viral Instagram account that curates verified, reliable news and breaks down the complexities of world and national events.
Stay in the loop!
Don't get caught off guard by the latest current events. I'll guide you to know the facts, understand what's relevant, and be informed.