Mayhem: The 1970s You Never Knew, Episode 10Dec 11, 2023
A religious leader with a raging drug addiction who led his following to a tragic end. A President with the hope of finding peace between Israel and Egypt. And a politician who was pivotal to the early LGBTQ+ rights movement, and lost his life in the process. Join us as we explore the stories of three men in 1978 who all had specific visions of the world, and the reality of those visions coming to fruition. If you’ve ever wondered where the term “Don’t drink the Kool-Aid” came from, or you want some context for what is happening in the Middle East, you’re in the right place.
Content Warning: This episode contains subject matter that is not suitable for children.
Writer, Host, and Executive Producer: Sharon McMahon
Audio Producer: Jenny Snyder
Writers and Researchers: Amy Watkin, Mandy Reid, and Kari Anton
Production Coordinator: Andrea Champoux
Links to Full Episode:
- 40 years after the Jonestown massacre
- The Peoples Temple in Guyana
- Jonestown Part 1: Who was the Peoples Temple leader Jim Jones?
- Drinking the Kool-Aid
- Harvey Milk
- San Francisco leaders George Moscone and Harvey Milk are murdered
- Camp David Accords and the Arab-Israeli Peace Process
- The Camp David Accords, 40 years later
Episode Sponsor Codes:
- Get salon-worthy nails at-home with Olive & June. Visit OliveandJune.com/SHARON for 20% off your first Olive and June System!
- If you’re thinking of starting therapy, give BetterHelp a try. Visit BetterHelp.com/sharon today to get 10% off your first month.
- Visit AuraFrames.com today and get $30 off their best-selling frames with the code SHARON.