Secrets of the Civil War: A War Won on FoodMar 20, 2023
Did you know that Hot Pockets, astronaut food, and maple bacon donuts all have their origins in the Battle Between the States? It’s true! During the Civil War, the most important thing for soldiers’ survival wasn’t ammunition or strategic plans. It was FOOD! So grab a snack and settle in.
Hosted by: Sharon McMahon
Executive Producer: Heather Jackson
Audio Producer: Jenny Snyder
Written and researched by: Heather Jackson, Valerie Hoback, Amy Watkin, and Mandy Reid
Links to Full Episode:
- Martha Stewart Pioneer Vinegar Pie
- Underwood Ham Spread
- 1865 Hardtack
- Johnny Cake Recipe
- Gemini Apollo Astronaut Food
- Preserved Watermelon Rind
- Sweet Potato Coffee
- Civil War Bread Pudding
Episode Sponsor Codes:
- Sleep better at night with Boll and Branch sheets. Get 15% off your first order when you use promo code SHARON at bollandbranch.com.
- To get 25% off your first order at MeUndies, free shipping, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee, go to MeUndies.com/SHARON.
Stay in the loop!
Don't get caught off guard by the latest current events. I'll guide you to know the facts, understand what's relevant, and be informed.