Stay Curious & Keep Exploring with Emily CalandrelliSep 24, 2021
Sit down with Sharon as she interviews the one and only @TheSpaceGal, Emily Calandrelli. Most people are fascinated by space and the myths surrounding space. In this episode, Sharon gets Emily’s thoughts on aliens, life outside of Earth, how the space industry has changed and expanded, and what is next in space development. In addition, Sharon dives into STEM education and Emily’s career and how she made a name for herself and forged her own path in helping people stay curious and keep learning.
Links to Full Episode:
This Episode Will Teach You:
- STEM degree opportunities
- Aerospace engineering options
- Myths about space
- Facts about space
- Science policy and research
- Emily’s TV career
- Aliens and UFOs
- Changes in the space industry
3 Biggest Takeaways:
- When Emily was a high school senior, she looked up what degrees made the most money, and that's how she fell into aerospace engineering. In the episodes, she discussed all the STEM and engineering career options and how she landed in aerospace. Emily is a true pioneer in her industry, especially when she appeared eight months pregnant, pursuing her dreams of hosting a science TV show.
- One day, Emily was about to start looking into government jobs focusing on science and space policy when she got an email from a production company asking her if she would be interested in hosting a show on space. She had some experience filming YouTube videos on the topics, but this launched her career in entertainment. Since then she has built out her niche in science communication and is the co-Executive Producer and host of Netflix's Emily's Wonder Lab, Host and Executive Producer of the Emmy-winning show Xploration Outer Space on FOX, and a correspondent for Bill Nye on Bill Nye Saves the World on Netflix.
- UFOs, aliens and other beings: Emily goes into detail about how we talk about how humans are the center of everything and how we usually aren’t correct about this. She thinks there is something else out there, but the technology is so new, and we’re too young in our research to find it yet. Emily also shares her thoughts on if alien life has been to Earth.
About the Guest:
Emily Calandrelli is an MIT engineer turned Emmy-nominated Science TV host. She's the co-Executive Producer and host of Netflix's Emily's Wonder Lab, Host and Executive Producer of the Emmy-winning show Xploration Outer Space on FOX, and a correspondent for Bill Nye on Bill Nye Saves the World on Netflix. Emily is the author of the STEM-mystery series the Ada Lace Adventures and her first picture book Reach for the Stars debuts in March 2022. Emily shares her love of science and space to her 1M+ followers across TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook where she is known as @TheSpaceGal.